The Blanche M. and George L. Watts Mountainside Community Foundation annually provides one or more college scholarships, in an amount up to $10,000 annually, to a graduating senior residing in Mountainside (regardless of the location of his or her high school) to assist him/her in attending the college/university of his or her choice. The Foundation will also entertain applications from students applying to associate degree programs at community colleges and certificate programs at accredited technical or trade schools.
The scholarship will be awarded based on financial need, academic performance, community involvement and merit.
Please submit only one application per student.
The scholarship is conditional upon the recipient institution not displacing the aid in part or in total. Additionally, the scholarship is conditional on the student still having financial need after he/she is awarded financial aid from all other public and private sources. For example, a student who has been awarded a full scholarship to attend the school of his or her choice is not considered to have financial need for the purposes of this scholarship.
All applications must be complete and returned to:
Blanche M. & George L. Watts Mountainside Community Foundation
210 Orchard Street
Westfield, NJ 07090
no later than April 2nd, 2019.
All financial aid packages received by applicants must be reported to the Foundation on the application. If received after April 2nd, the information must be reported to the Foundation immediately.
It may be possible that students will not yet have all of the materials suggested for inclusion below to submit to the committee. We ask that each student support his/her application to the best of his/her ability by including as many of the items listed below as possible, and to supplement those with subsequent filings as soon as the material(s) become available. Obviously, the more information the student provides, the better the student’s chances are of receiving the scholarship.
1. A copy of official high school transcript (with raised seal) to the latest date available;
2. If you have already been accepted to an institution, please include a copy of the acceptance/award letter, which states the estimated cost per year of attending the institution AND the details of the financial aid package offered by the institution. If you have not received a final financial aid award letter, please include the financial aid award estimate;
3. A copy of your resume as described in the application;
4. A complete copy of your and your parents’/guardians’ most current tax returns. If you do not file a tax return, please state so. If your parents/guardians file separately, you must include returns for both parties. If you include only one return, you must include a letter of explanation;
5. If you applied for federal student aid through FAFSA, please include a copy of your application and/or the resulting Student Aid Report;
6. The essay statement as described in the application;
7. A recommendation which you feel would strengthen your application. The recommendation does not have to be from a teacher or guidance counselor. It should be from someone who knows you well and can write about your strengths as an individual;
8. A fully completed copy of the application.